Sunday, February 5, 2012

That's the Thing...

The thing about goals is,
you set them, but then you forget them.

Problem.

Solution?
Well, there might not be one. (Sorry.)
But I think the funny thing about goals is we set them so we WILL forget them.

For instance:

Your 2012 goal list might look like this:
1. lose weight
2. spend less money
3. get more followers on blog
... etc.

But, what it SHOULD look like is something like this:

In 2012,
1. I will lose 15 lbs. by:
    -exercising for 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week
    -eating something healthy every time I crave (insert delicious, ooey-gooey, yummy, fattening treat here)
2. I will spend less money by:
    -creating a budget and sticking to it
    -putting away (   %) of each paycheck into savings when I receive it, so I am not tempted to spend it
3. I will get       more followers on my blog by:
    -posting at least twice a week on interesting subject matter
    -finding ways to advertise my blog for free, such as putting my URL on facebook (only once in a while, so   as not to annoy people on their newsfeeds.)


See what I did there? Not only did I set a more specific goal, but I wrote them beginning with "I will...", making yourself more accountable, and included specific ways to help reach that goal. (Not that I know that's how anyone can lose 15 lbs, spend less money, or get more followers.)

Now, I am not inclined to lose 15 lbs. I am, however, inclined to spend less money, but I can't do that since there isn't even "extra" money to spend. (Hmm... Camera or groceries? New wardrobe or this month's rent?) And as far as getting more blog followers goes, I guess that would be cool. So if you enjoy my blog, recommend it to your friends! But if you don't enjoy my blog, that's cool too. Free country 'n all.

But seriously, if you're gonna set goals, set them specifically.

6 comments:

Elle R. said...

wow this is a cool post!!! I'll start doing that too...I'm sure it will help me with my goals =D thank u so much for sharing!!

sarah ann said...

Thanks, Elle! :) Good luck with your goals! Reeeeach!

Mr. Taylor and his Lady said...

i need to do a better job at being more specific with my future goals as well! love this!
xo TJ

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Ha! I completely agree with you! It is so important to make a specific plan in order to be successful in your goals! It's very difficult to set a goal when you haven't set "steps" to get there!

Alex ~ http://therolexrelease.blogspot.com

sarah ann said...

One thing I forgot to mention... Make sure you not only write down your goals, but tell people you trust about them too, so they can help you along and be your cheerleaders! Best wishes! :)

sarah ann said...

Bingo. Smart man!